Introducing Inspire Therapy
The first fully implanted, clinically proven obstructive sleep apnea therapy for patients unable to use CPAP.
Inspire Therapy is a fully implanted system, controlled with a small handheld Inspire sleep remote. The system consists of three implanted components: a small pulse generator, a sensing lead, and a stimulation lead. When activated, Inspire therapy senses breathing patterns and delivers mild stimulation to key airway muscles, which maintains multilevel airway patency during sleep.
The Stimulation Therapy for Apnea Reduction (STAR) trial was a clinical trial designed to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of Inspire therapy and was conducted for 22 leading medical centers across the United States and Europe. After 12 months, the results showed a significant reduction in sleep apnea events.Additionally, there was:
- 70% median reduction in blood oxygen desaturation index (ODI)
- Significant improvement in daytime functioning as measured by the Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS) and Functional Outcomes of Sleep Questionnaire (FOSQ)
The results of the STAR trial were published in the January 9, 2014 edition of the New England Journal of Medicine.Inspire therapy is FDA approved for a subset of moderate to severe sleep apnea patients who are unable to use CPAP who also have:
- AHI range 20-65 events per hour
- Less than 25% central sleep apnea
- No complete concentric collapse at the palate
Indications, contraindications and safety information can be reviewed at www.InspireSleep.com.